This is the page for the month of October highlighting what going on in BC for Community Inclusion Month
Also one to reminder people of the 19th self advocacy leadership institute that taken place October 19th to 21st in Camp Luther in Mission BC
Click here for more information on deadline get registered is Oct 10th
The Province of BC has formally proclaimed October as Community Living Month
Also to Community Living BC is Celebrating Community Inclusion Month in BC events as well click here
CLBC celebrates Community Inclusion Month 2018
Message from CLBC CEO Seonag Macrae:
The Province of British Columbia has proclaimed October as Community Inclusion Month to celebrate the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities in our neighbourhoods, towns and cities across the province. Read the proclamation here.
This is the 20th year that our province is recognizing and celebrating the contributions of people with diverse abilities. We are committed to ensuring people of all abilities have the opportunity to participate fully in community life. We recognize the families, friends, caregivers, volunteers, community groups and employers who see the potential of everyone and work to create new opportunities and possibilities for all.
Progress for inclusion is made through actions big and small. This October, I invite you to participate in a community event, or take a small action to help make your community a more welcoming one. Each small step – like saying ‘Hi’, shopping at a store where the owner employs people with differing abilities, or ensuring your social club welcomes everyone – can add up to a big contribution and gets us closer to realizing the vision of inclusive communities for everyone.
Inclusion B.C. is celebrating October Community Inclusion Month! 2018
Happy Community Inclusion Month! Every year in October Inclusion BC joins people from across the province in celebrating inclusion, diversity and the rights and contributions of people with intellectual disabilities. We’re happy you decided to celebrate with us!
“This is an opportunity to reflect on the meaning and importance of inclusion and how communities hold the key to making it happen,” says Inclusion BC’s Acting Executive Director Karla Verschoor. “We want to celebrate the gifts that people with intellectual disabilities bring to our communities and the strength that comes from valuing our diversity.”
2018 theme: Accessibility Includes
Inclusion BC is celebrating “Accessibility Includes” as the 2018 theme of Community Inclusion Month. It is inspired by the proposed new Accessible Canada Act and BC’s plan to start consultations in coming months to shape made-in-BC accessibility legislation.
Throughout October, we will be talking about accessibility and what it means to people with intellectual disabilities.
Why we’re celebrating accessibility:
- Accessibility is important because it means that everyone can live, work, play and share in their community, whatever their ability.
- People with disabilities face accessibility barriers because many places, things and services don’t work for everyone in the community.
- Accessibility barriers prevent people with disabilities from using and developing their many abilities.
- Accessibility barriers also prevent people with disabilities from enjoying the same rights and benefits as others, which is a kind of discrimination.
- We believe in inclusion, which means that everyone belongs, is valued and does not feel discrimination.
- As British Columbians, we want to work together to remove barriers, end discrimination and provide supports to improve accessibility.
- When we improve accessibility, we build more inclusive communities and everyone benefits.
Join the conversation!
Wednesday, October 24, 2018